Monday, March 24, 2008

Just Call Me...

...Amber "No Need to Know the Date" Minogue.  All my adult life I have wished for a life that would allow me the freedom of not needing to know time.  The feeling when  you are on vacation and you don't know the date or the day of the week and you don't need to, that is what I wanted for my way of life.  Well here in Australia, I have officially reached that point.  As a general rule, I know what the day of the week is so that I show up to mummy boot camp on the right days, but other then that very serious obligation, it really does not matter.  I am vaguely aware that it is mid-March but I don't know the date and only make note of it every now and again, as needed. 


There are definite up sides and downs sides to this lifestyle.  It is very nice not to have any obligations outside of the ones I place on myself.  But at the same time, it would be nice to have obligations.  When I first conceived that it would be wonderful to live without obligations, it was on vacation and it was a wish for a permanent vacation.  I am not complaining, it is fabulous to be living in Australia, taking care of my daughter with little responsibility or duty, but this is hardly a permanent vacation.  My relatively few obligations do not mean that I am spending all my time vacationing.  Quite the contrary, I am a suburban house wife, raising my daughter in Australia.  My obligations are the ones placed on me by my daughter and they change daily according to her evolving needs.  Though this is the hardest job I have ever loved, motherhood does have its slow moments.  Don't get me wrong, Riley is beautiful, and I am so happy and grateful to have the opportunity to be home with her this year, but every now and again-not always, but sometimes-I wish I needed to know what the date was.   

No comments: