Friday, February 8, 2008

Super Bowl Monday

Not very sexy sounding is it? It was about as exciting as it sounds.  They do broadcast the super bowl here in Australia. It started live at the awesome hour of 10:00 am. So after my  super bowl of cereal (super bowl, get it, tee hee), Riley and I sat down to enjoy some football. Josh was of course at school and I am not all together sure anybody else in Australia was watching, but we tuned in.  

I don't know about anybody else, but since I turned 21 (and probably a few before I turned 21, sorry mom), I have not watched a super bowl without the aid of alcohol. It helps to pass the time that the dreadfully long 3 hour (or more) game can take. Beings that it was 10:00 am and I was alone watching an infant, I chose to forgo the spirits for this year's game. Because many people in Australia do not understand gridiron football (that is what they call American football), they had an Ozzy announcer along with two Australian NFL players.  The players were formerly Rugby players that have come to the US to play in the NFL. Througout the game, when the network would go to commercial and everyone would partake in the $2.7 million dollar-a-piece commercials, we would get commentary from these three blokes.  So we missed out on the fabulous superbowl advertising, but it was very interesting to hear about how Gridiron was perceived by Australians, they are after all, hard core rugby fanatics. Slow, it is perceived as slow! But the two Ozzy NFL blokes are reformed gridiron lovers, even with the countless number of rules, who could possible know all the rules??

Did I say 3 hour game?  It was more like 4.5 hours. And one of the most productive superbowls I have ever watched. I cleaned the vacuumed the carpets, swept the floor, did the dishes, hung out the laundry ate my lunch...  By the fourth quarter my whole house was clean and Riley had napped...twice.  I probably consumed fewer calories then ever, especially without the alcohol. But I must admit, I did miss my seven layer dip.  

Clearly, with all this cleaning, one might assume that the game was not that interesting.  Quite the contrary, the game was probably the best superbowl I have ever seen.  And the half time show was equally memorable, at least for me.  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performed. Those who know me, know that they are one of my favorite bands.  In fact, I walked down the aisle to a Heartbreakers song in my wedding (Wildflowers).   They kicked it off with American Girl and then went into I Won't Back Down (my theme song--since I was in high school).  As the song started, an overwhelming wave of home sickness ran through me.  I was rocking out singing every word and bawling like a baby. 

I recovered from my wave of sickness when Josh called during the 4th quarter to find out who had won.  Like I said, the game took ages, so I had to report that the game was still going then proceeded to announce the last 10 minutes to him over the phone so he could get a good feel of what happened. And what an ending, I am sure it was quite funny for Josh to hear:

"Manning's got the ball, why won't he throw it? Oh no, he's going to get sacked.  He just won't go down.  Jesus, he has three guys on him and he won't go down.  He got away.  Holy moly, he is throwing long, they will never catch that.  Oh crap, it is going to be intercepted, no wait the guy has it, its complete. Oh my god.  And look at Peyton Manning, (those who know me, know I love Peyton, so by extension, I must cheer for his brother) he is cheering so hard for his brother, Peyton is so great. Now he is throwing long, I can't believe he is throwing long, holy moly, the guy caught it, holy moly--take that you New England Patriots Cheaters!  I guess it doesn't matter if you are undefeated if you lose the one that counts!  Yeah for the biggest upset...woohoo!!"

Or something like that.  

And just an editors note, they did rebroadcast the game in the evening for those Australians who missed it during the day and I am told that they did tune in, even without the entertaining American advertising.  

No comments: