Friday, January 25, 2008

We are off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!



Okay, so we are not going to visit the wizard, but we are going to Oz!!!  D-day, as in departure day.  It is finally here and holy moly we can't believe it.  We were up till 1:30 packing bags and got up bright and early to tie up last minute loose ends that can only be completed during business hours.  My dear friend Kimberly came over for lunch to bring me her baby bjorn to use while we are in Oz.  She is the last to see of all my friends and the hardest good-bye second to my grandparents thus far.  Two weeks ago, her and I went for a girls night out by ourselves without kiddos or husbands or any other silly distractions.  We had such a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the margaritas at Lola.   So thoroughly that I was belligerent with my husband and don't remember the whole evening, at least not the end of it.  And that was only 4 drinks in about 6 hours.  So that says something about their margaritas (and that I am a bit of a light weight since the baby).  And Kimberly, lets not forget the amazing avacodo fondue, that was really the nights big treat.  Flash back to present and we must say good-bye to each other.   As she puts her pea (beautiful Anya) into her carseat to leave, we both bawled like two little babies who just had their favorite toy swiped from their hands.  As I have stated, I am very loved and I will miss my friends and home over this next year.

Both my mom and Josh's mom generously stepped up to drive us to the airport.  It was a good thing that we had both of them because our luggage alone filled one car.  On our way to the airport, we stopped at our house to pick up a roller suitcase to trade out for Josh's carry-on duffle so it would be easier to manage.  I had planned ahead to anticipate my husband's whims and knew that with the stop, we would still have 2.5 hours at the airport to get checked in and settled.  After the stop, we headed to the airport and as we drove, the nervous energy settled.  A quick call to Josh to see which way he was driving (we took two cars, Josh and his mom and me, Riley and my mom).  Two minutes later he called to see if I remembered to put the stroller in the car, I gently--through clinched teeth--reminded him that I had asked him to grab the stroller.  It turns out we don't have the stroller.  And the fun and stress begins.  As we get off the phone with each other, Josh nearly kills himself and his mother when he misses the highway exit.  

Once we arrive at the airport, we get in line to check in.  Because everything is self-check with computers for the most part, we really don't have to wait in line.  We must see an actual attendant because believe it or not, we actually have paper tickets.  I found it odd when we first purchased the tickets but after dealing with Air Pacific (Fijian airline), I realize that it is not that weird.  Anyhoo, we were checkin in for count this, 1 hour. We were those people, the ones with a million bags that you don't want to get stuck behind, who seem to be taking forever but without any obvious reason.  After that long hour, the ticket agent generously asked us if our mothers would like to accompany us to the gate.  This was a happy surprise for all of us and helped to delay the inevitable good-bye just a bit longer.  

Another 25 minutes later we made it through security and to the gate, or rather the bar just by the gate.  After that long ordeal and to face the next long ordeal, we really needed a drink.  So with our remaining 15 minutes before boarding, we downed a beer with our mothers.  Now it is time for easily the hardest goodbye, a tearful--sobbing really--good-bye to my mommy.  It is amazing how mom becomes mommy when we are about to leave home.  She is really one of my best friends and it was heartbreaking to leave her at the gate.  So no lions and tigers and bears.  It was Josh and Amber and the monkey (Riley) off to see the wizard...following the yellow brick road but with the notion that there is no place like home.

1 comment:

scholasticamama said...

Wow, great post. We did have a great time on our night out. I can't wait to do it in Oz! And, after seeing that pic, I'm totally asking for the bassinet on our trip. I wish I had for Paris!